Athenry Castle Galway
Athenry Castle Galway was built in 1249 ,The castle was restored in 2005 using the building techniques which would have been used when the castle was built. There are guided tours during the summer.
The only original entrance was at first-floor level and would have been reached by an external wooden stairs similar to the present reconstruction. This gave direct access to the hall, the official and ceremonial reception room of the castle, where the lord received guests and tenants and presided over the manor court. Heat was probably provided originally by a brazier in the centre of the hall, with the smoke exiting through a louver or opening in the roof directly above. The garderobe or toilet is located diagonally across from the main entrance to the hall.
Athenry Castle was built in 1249 by Meiller de Bermingham. The castle was restored in 2005 using the building techniques which would have been used when the castle was built. There are guided tours of the castle during the summer and it is well worth a visit.
Athenry Castle Opening Hours
Easter – September: Daily 10.00 – 18.00.
October: Daily 10.00 – 17.00.
Last admission 45 mins. before closing.
Average Length of Visit: 1 Hour
Athenry Castle Admission Fees
- Adult: €5
- Sen/Group: €4
- Child/Student: €3
- Family: €13
Athenry Castle Facilities
Exhibition, public car/coach parking available close to site, toilets
Located in the centre of Athenry town