Desmond Castle French Prison Cork
Desmond Castle was built by the Earl of Desmond c. 1500. A fine example of an urban tower house, the castle consists of a three storey keep with storehouses to the rear.
Originally built as a Customs house, the castle also served as a prison in the 18th century (it is known locally as the French Prison) an ordnance store during the Battle of Kinsale (1601) and as a workhouse during the Great Famine.
By the early decades of the 20th Century Desmond castle had fallen into decay. It was declared a National Monument in 1938. Since 1997, the castle has been host to the International Museum of Wine.
This exhibition documents the intriguing story of Ireland’s wine links with Europe and the wider world.