Dunbrody Abbey Visitors Centre
It was completed circa 1220, but additions may have continued for some time. Herve de Montmorency made a grant of the lands to the monks of Bildewas in Shropshire (England), on condition that they should build the Abbey, for some monks of the Cistercian, or White Order (they wore white robes), and upon condition that there should be a Sanctuary in the Abbey for all malefactors.
Dedicated to “St. Mary the ever Blessed Virgin, and St. Benedict” it has sometimes been called the Abbey of St. Mary de Port, for the refuge it contained by the express condition of its founder.
Dunbrody Abbey Visitors Centre Attractions
With the historic Abbey, the Tea Rooms and Craft Shop for those wishing to relax, as well as the Maze/Pitch & Putt for the more actively minded, this location has proved extremely popular with visitors of all ages. Set in a rural area the Visitor Centre has an atmosphere of tranquillity and is safe for families with children.
Other attractions in the area include:
- – Dunbrody Abbey Cookery Centre
- – Dunbrody Famine Ship
- – J.F.K Homestead
- – The Hook Lighthouse
- – Waterford Crystal
- – Passage East Ferry
- – Kilmokea Country Manor & Gardens
|Opening Times for Centre|
|– Begining May to Mid September|
|– 11.00hrs – 17.30hrs|
|– Guided Tours of Abbey available on request|
|Admission to Abbey||Maze / Castle / Pitch & Putt|
|– Adult €5.00||– Adult €8.00|
|– Child||– Child €4.00|
|– Family €10.00||– Family €20.00|
Directions To The Abbey
Dunbrody Abbey lies three miles from the John F. Kennedy Memorial Park and two miles from the Passage East Car Ferry, on the main road from New Ross to the Hook Peninsula. The Abbey is 100 miles from Dublin.