Jamie Oliver Prepares Mince Pies
Watch Jamie Oliver as he prepares Christmas mince pies
Mince Pies Ingredients
- 100g good-quality mincemeat
- 25g dried cranberries or blueberries, chopped
- Zest of 2 clementines
- A splash of sherry or brandy
- Flour, to dust
- 250g good puff pastry
- 1 pack filo pastry
- 50g melted butter
- 1 free-range or organic egg, beaten
- 50g flaked almonds
- Icing sugar, to dust
Jamie Oliver Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400ºF/gas 6. Scoop the mincemeat into a mixing bowl and mix in the dried berries, the clementine zest and the sherry or brandy.
2. Dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the puff pastry into a big rectangle about 20x40cm/8×16 inch and the thickness of a pound coin. Thinly spread the mincemeat over the pastry, leaving a 1cm/½ inch gap around the edges. Tightly roll up the pastry, lengthways, like a Swiss roll, place it on a floured tray, and pop in the fridge to firm up.
3. Take two cupcake trays (for 12 cupcakes each) and butter each one lightly with the melted butter. Place one layer of filo pastry over the tray (you may need more than one sheet to cover each tray depending on the size of the sheets) and ease the pastry into each hole. Brush with the melted butter, then cover with a second layer of filo pastry. Brush with butter again.
Tip: You can freeze the cooked, cooled mince pies in their trays (just wrap the lot in cling film) or in a plastic container. Just reheat them in a hot oven straight from the freezer.
4. Take the puff pastry roll out of the fridge and, with a sharp knife, cut it into 24 slices. Place each slice, flat-side down, into a filo-lined hole. Brush with the egg and sprinkle a few flaked almonds on top of each little pie, then pop both trays in the oven for about 25 minutes, until cooked and golden brown.
5. Leave to cool, then crack the individual pies out of the trays. Dust with a little icing sugar before serving
Merry Christmas and Enjoy From FamilyFun.ie