Please mention Family Fun when booking!
Kiltartan Gregory Museum And Millennium Park Galway
The Kiltartan Gregory Museum and Millennium Park is located two miles outside Gort on the main Galway Road at the historic spot “Kiltartan Cross” where the blind poet Rafferty met and fell in love with the “Beauty of Ballylee” Márre ní hEidhie and often played music for local dances.
This building was a National School built in 1892 at the behest of the local landlord, Sir William Gregory of Coole Park, Gort. The school was closed in 1960 and was acquired by the local branch of the Irish Farmers Association. Restoration began in 1990 with the formation of the Kiltartan Gregory Cultural Society and assistance from Government Agencies and the Local Fundraising. One room has been retained as an old Irish classroom as it was 100 years ago. The Museum was officially opened by Mary Robinson on the 8th August, 1996.
The larger room contains materials relating to W.B. Yeats, Lady Gregory – who immortalised Kiltartan in her books and plays – and the Gaelic Revival.
There is also considerable emphasis placed on local history.
1st June – 31st August: Daily 10.00 – 18.00
1st September – 31st May: Sundays 13.00 – 17.00
Guided tours Covering photographs, manuscripts, first editions, memorabilia, estate maps, Great Famine material.
Early 20th century classroom.
Souvenirs for sale.
Literary Studies Centre.
Beautiful Kiltartan Millennium Park and picnic area.
Guide Leaflets in Five Languages.
School tours catered for by appointment