The tower was orginally a Norman fortfield house owned by the powerful de Burgo family during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. W.B. Yeats, Nobel Prize winner, poet and senator, bought this ancient Norman tower and adjoining cottages in 1916. for £35.00.
The following facilities have been tastefully incorporated at Thoor Ballylee and its grounds by Failte Ireland West who operate the tower
Today visitors can see an audio-visual presentation of the history of Yeats’ life and the tower and hear push-button audio narrations in each room of the tower.
There are beautiful riverside walk to ancient mill and mill wheel and there is also a picnic area to enjoy.
Opening Times At Thoor Ballylee
- Opening Hours: 10.00 – 18.00 – 7 days, until 30 September
- Skavanger hunt for Kids
- Yeats Exhibition open from 18th of June daily
Directions To Thoor Ballylee
- To find your way to Thoor Ballylee from Galway city take the limerick road the N18 south.You should see a signpost for Thoor Ballylee after passing through the village of Ardrahan. It is a turn to your left of the N18.
- From Shannon aerport take the Ennis road N18 north.When you reach Gort town take the N66 loughrea road, its a turn to your right. You will see a signpost for Thoor Ballylee on your left, shorthy after leaving Gort town. It will be a left turn to Thoor Ballylee.
- And from Dublin take the N66 out of Loughrea heading for Gort.And as you approach Gort town you will see a signpost for Thoor Ballylee on your right