Family Fitness Festival
Athletics Ireland’s Family Fitness Festival in association with McDonald’s is an action packed day of fun events in the beautiful surroundings of Farmleigh in the Phoenix Park on the 31 July. The day will emphasise the importance of regular physical activity and healthy choices for both children and adults. This will be the perfect opportunity for the whole family to experience a variety of sporting activities. Go along and enjoy the fun in the McDonald’s Little Athletics Challenge at Farmleigh and meet Irish World Youth Champion Kate Veale.
The day begins at 10.00 with the Family Mile Challenge- an event that welcomes Walkers, Joggers and Runners. The Family Mile Challenge will be held within the grounds of Farmleigh, with the finish of the mile outside Farmleigh House.
There will be lots of other activities on the from the Farmers markets and food stalls to face painting
As part Sunday’s programme of events will be a Little Toddle for all the under 5’s to take part in! This fun event will simply involve a short race / toddle from point to point for all children under 5.
TODDLE TIME for the Little Toddle will be 12.00 and 14.00 so look out for the Toddle team in the exhibition tent to collect your toddler’s hat and sticker before the race
CHILDREN’S EVENTS (Starts at 11.30am)
- Athletics Ireland Little Toddle: A short sprint/ walk/crawl for the tots- (under 5 years)
- McDonald’s Little Athletics Challenge: ( 5-10 years) Fun agility tests supervised by Athletics Ireland professional staff
- Young Athletes Challenge: (10-14 years): Agility challenges and talent assessment in a variety of fun drills
- Speed Gates: A challenge of speed, balance and co-ordination
- Fun Orienteering: Children and parents can test their orienteering skills as they explore the Farmleigh Estate
Family Fitness Festival Event Programme
- Fun Orienteering (for all the family) – An exciting mix of orienteering skills and treasure hunt
- McDonald’s Little Athletics Challenge (5 to 10 years) – Agility tests to delight and excite with Olympian Sonia O’Sullivan on hand to offer encouragement and guidance
- Young Athletes Challenge (10 to 14 years) – Agility and talent assessment in a variety of fun drills
- Athletics Ireland Little Toddle (under 5 years) – A short sprint/walk/toddle/craw for the tots!
- Farmers markets and food stalls
Directions To Family Fitness Festival
Travelling by Car
- Entering the Phoenix Park from Parkgate Street, follow Chesterfield Avenue and go straight through the first two roundabouts. At the third roundabout take a left and then your first right for Farmleigh. Farmleigh is signposted within the Park.
- Entering the Phoenix Park from Castleknock, turn right at the first roundabout, and then right again for Farmleigh. The turn for Farmleigh is 50 metres or so from the roundabout.
Travelling by Dublin Bus
- Take the number 37 bus from Baggott Street ( via Suffolk Street and the Quays ) to the Castleknock Gate. Enter the Phoenix Park and take the pedestrian pathway to your right. Following the directional signs, Farmleigh is a fifteen-minute walk from the Castleknock Gate.
Phoenix Park Shuttle
- A Shuttle Bus Service within the Phoenix Park runs each weekday from 7.00 – 19.00. On weekends and Public holidays, the shuttle bus runs from 10.00 – 19.00. The bus operates as a hop-on , hop-off service and operates every hour.