Walk On World Heart Day
World Heart Day is both an international and national day of awareness of heart disease and stroke. And the Irish Heart Foudation believe that this is a great opportunity to show everyone the health benefits of getting out there and walking!
Organise or participate in a walk for World Heart Day – Not only is walking fun, it’s also great for your heart!
World Heart Day aims to focus attention on the importance of developing and maintaining a healthy heart.
Walks can be organised at any time during the week before or after World Heart Day and can be any size, groups from 3 to 300 have been organised in previous years. The focus of the day is walking for fun. Last year, almost 600 groups organised a walk – with well over 15,000 people taking part on the day! They are hoping to make this year the biggest and best World Heart Day so far.By organising a World Heart Day walk, you will be able to show your friends and family just how simple and enjoyable it is to be physical active.
As the national charity for heart health the Irish Heart Foundation hope to encourage you, your family and your friends to get your heart pumping this September. So sign up now to organise or take part in a walk near you.
Organise Your Own World Heart Day Walk
Walking is a great way to get out and get active! To celebrate World Heart Day why don’t you get out walking in your commuity. By organising a walk you and people from your commnity can help keep your hearts health and also help them to continue fighting heart diease.
If you are interested in getting involved, please complete an application form –once you register as a walk organiser they will send you a World Heart Day pack, which will contain:
- A helpful guide to organising and promoting your walk
- Organiser t-shirts and balloons for the children
- World Heart Day posters and certificates
- Temporary Slí Signs to mark and advertise your route
- A regular newsletter with tips and ideas
- Free Irish Heart Week information for all your walkers
For more information and to register for your fundraising pack please contact:
- Munster (Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Clare, Tipperary):
Anne Riordan 086 8520199 or 021-4505822
Cork Office: 42 Penrose Wharf, Penrose Quay, Cork
- North East (Meath, Westmeath, Longford, Monaghan, Cavan, Louth)
Mairead McMeel: 087 6695283
- North West (Galway, Roscommon, Sligo, Mayo, Leitrim, Donegal)
Toni Bourke 086 3806941
- South-East (Waterford, Wicklow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Carlow, Laois, Offaly)
Tracy Power 087 2800995
- Dublin, Kildare
Mairead Fortune 087-4114285
Join The Phoenix Park For The Fun Family Walk
The Irish Heart Foundation is hosting a World Heart Day 5k Walk in the Phoenix Park on September 26th which is guaranteed to be a fun, family day out so anyone in the Dublin area please come along! Here is the details:
- Time – 11am Sunday 28th Sept 2014
- Meeting Point – Castleknock Gate Entrance